Online Reputation Management | How it can Make or Break Brands?
Article By Adwait Joshi (Co-Founder at Impulse Digital)
What is ORM(Online Reputation Management)?
Online Relationship Management (ORM) is about having an Active Presence of your Company on various Digital Platforms like Blogs, Social Networking Sites, Search Engines, etc. in order to maintain a healthy relationship with your customer base and to build a brand credibility.
Most online shoppers read online reviews of a product before making a purchase. One negative comment is enough to have them reconsider their purchase decisions. While some customers may bring up some genuine concerns about your product or services on an online forum, some others may just try to smear your brand image for no reason at all.
However, every review and rating whether good or bad, truth or lies is shaping the perspectives of your potential leads and hence, it is necessary to have a system in place that makes sure that no incorrect information about your business is being represented. You simply cannot turn a blind eye and not take your online reputation seriously.
Why do you need ORM for your Brand?
Let us take an example of Samsung Galaxy Note 7. As soon as the news of exploding it started making rounds, the sales dropped immediately, airlines stopped passengers carrying Samsung Galaxy Note 7 from boarding the flights and eventually, Samsung had to do a worldwide recall of their product.
This problem could have possibly been solved in the earlier days when your sales representative in the brick and mortar store was the only person customers trusted when it came to the reviews of a product. However, in the internet era, people believe more in the actual customers than the sales executives.
In the digital world, news spreads like wild fire. Unfortunately, negative news spreads even faster. In order to make sure that the fire doesn’t get out of hand, one should have an Online Relationship Management (ORM) set in place to avert any disasters. Fortunately for brands, many digital marketing companies have teams of ORM experts at your disposal.
- Having good ORM can help you drive sales. If your product has negative online reviews or no reviews at all, the prospective lead may opt for other product that has good reviews. Don’t lose these customers just because you are too lazy to do ORM.
- If you have a pro-active and effective ORM strategy in place, it helps build trust amongst the customer base that you really care about their concerns.
- ORM is important for strengthening your Brand Image as it helps you control the information about your brand being circulated.
- Assumptions, gossips and rumours have damaged great brands. Most of the time the reason was neglecting the negative information spreading around about their brands. You can take help of ORM to save your brand from the same fate.
- ORM is one of the best tools of grievance redressal. If there is a disgruntled customer, it gives you a chance to help him out and shift his outlook towards your company.
- It helps you identify the pain points within your product or your services and gives you a chance to improve on it.
No product or service is perfect. There is always a room for improvement. ORM is all about listening to what the end user has to say about your product be it the product itself or the packaging, delivery, after Sale Services etc. and acting on it by not just improving the faults if any but also building a positive brand image.